Simple Saucy Steaks Recipe
Prep Time: 5-10 mins
Cooking time: (based on a 2cm/¾ inch thick steak)
Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
Medium: 4 minutes on each side
Well done: 6 minutes on each side
Recipe supplied by www.simplybeefandlamb.co.uk
- 2 sirloin, ribeye, rump or centre cut steaks
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 15ml/1tbsp olive oil
- For Madeira and mushroom sauce:
- 100g/4oz chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 75ml/5tbsp good, hot beef stock
- 45ml/3tbsp Madeira wine
- 90ml/6tbsp double cream
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped chives
- For peppercorn sauce:
- 45ml/3tbsp hot beef stock
- 15ml/1tbsp Dijon mustard
- 5ml/1tsp whole black peppercorns, crushed
- 100ml/3Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â½ floz double cream
- 15ml/1tbsp freshly copped flat-leaf parsley
Instructions1. Heat a large non-stick frying or griddle pan, season the steaks, brush with oil on both sides and cook according to your preference. Transfer to a warm serving plate, cover loosely with foil to keep warm and prepare the sauce of you choice.
2. For the Madeira and mushroom sauce: Reduce the heat under the pan and add the mushrooms. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the stock, increase the heat and boil for 3 minutes until slightly reduced. Add the wine and cream and reduce for a further 3-4 minutes until the sauce is slightly thickened. Stir in the chives.
3. For the peppercorn sauce: add the stock to the same pan and stir gently to remove and sediment from the base. Add the mustard, peppercorns and cream. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes until thickened. Garnish with the parsley.
4. Stir and meat juices from the steak plate into the sauces. Serve with their sauce and seasonal vegetables.