Beefy Beef Tomatoes Recipe• Serves: 6
• Preparation time: Approximately 15 minutes
• Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
- 375g/12oz lean beef mince
- 6 large beef tomatoes
- 50g/2oz cooked basmati rice
- 1 small onion or 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 25-50g/1-2oz black olives, roughly chopped
- 15-30ml/1-2tbsp freshly torn oregano or basil leaves
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 15-30ml/1-2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Instructions1. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 5, 190°C/375°F.
2. Slice off the stalk end of each tomato, set aside and reserve. Scoop out the seeds and the flesh, roughly chop and place half the mixture in a large bowl and stir in the cooked rice. Discard the remaining tomato flesh.
3. Heat a large, shallow, non-stick frying pan until hot and cook the mince and onion for 7-10 minutes until brown. Stir in the black olives, herbs, seasoning and the tomato and rice mixture.
4. Place the tomatoes in a large ovenproof dish. Season. Spoon the beef stuffing equally between the tomatoes. Top with the tomato lids, drizzle with the extra virgin olive oil, cover with foil and bake for 10 minutes.
5. Remove the foil and bake uncovered for a further 5 minutes.
6. Serve immediately.