Paul Gayler’s Sausage, Root vegetable & Barley Casserole RecipeCooking time: Approximately 1-1½ hours
- 450g (1lb) pork and herb sausages
- 45ml (3tbsp) oil
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 parsnip, peeled and diced
- 1 turnip, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 75g (3oz) pearl barley, rinsed
- 60ml (4tbsp) tomato purée
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 300ml (½ pint) red wine
- 300ml (½ pint) stock
- 15ml (1tbsp) freshly picked thyme leaves
Heat 1tbsp oil in a large saucepan, add the sausages and cook for 4- 5 minutes. Remove, cut into four and keep warm.
Add the remaining oil to the pan. Add the onion and fry until golden. Add the root vegetables and garlic, fry until golden.
Add the cooked sausages, barley, tomato purée, canned tomatoes and wine, bring to the boil. Add the stock and return to the boil. Cover with a lid, lower the heat and cook until the vegetables and barley are tender - about 1-¼ hours.
Add the thyme and cook for a further 5-8 minutes.
Serve on a bed of creamy mashed potato with steamed leeks and Brussels sprouts.