Beef Casserole with Mustard Croutons Recipe
created by EBLEX (The beef and lamb sector company)
- 450g/1lb lean braising or stewing cubes
- 15ml/1tbsp oil
- 2 sticks celery, cut into chunks
- ½ small swede, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 600ml/1pint beer or stock
- 15ml/1tbsp English mustard
- 30ml/2tbsp gravy granules
- For the topping:
- ½ French stick,
- cut into thin slices
- 50g/2oz butter, softened
- 5ml/1tsp wholegrain mustard
- 5ml/1tsp English mustard
1. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F.
2. Heat the oil in a pan and cook the Grand Reserve diced beef for 4-5 minutes until browned. Transfer to an ovenproof casserole dish and add the celery, carrots, swede, and parsnips. Pour over the beer or stock and the English mustard. Cover and place in a preheated oven for approximately 2 hours, until the beef is tender.
3. Meanwhile make the topping; cut the French stick into thin slices. Mix together the butter with the Wholegrain mustard and the English mustard and spread over the bread.
4. Ten minutes before the end of cooking time thicken the casserole with the gravy granules and place the mustard croûtons on top. Cook uncovered for remaining cooking time.
5. Serve the casserole and croûtons with mashed potato and seasonal green vegetables.