Grand Reserve Fillet Steak wrapped in Pancetta RecipeGrand reserve Fillet Steak wrapped in pancetta with Creamy Wholegrain Leeks, New Potatoes and Asparagus created by McCoys at the Tontine, Yorkshire
- For the steaks:
- 10 x 200g fillet steaks
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 20 rashers of pancetta
- Oil for frying
- For the sauce:
- 350ml red wine
- 800ml chicken stock
- For the leeks:
- 40g butter
- 8 medium leeks, finely sliced
- 425ml double cream
- 3tbsp wholegrain mustard
- For the new potatoes and asparagus:
- 2kg baby Jersey Royals potatoes, or baby
- new potatoes, washed and scrubbed
- 1kg asparagus spears
- Mint sprigs
- To serve:
- 100g butter
- Chopped mint
For the sauce:
1. Simmer and reduce the wine by half and add the stock. Simmer and reduce to a pouring consistency. Set aside.
For the steaks:
2. Season the meat. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Wrap the steaks with 2 pieces pancetta each, and secure with string, just to hold while cooking.
3. Heat the oil in a solid based pan over high heat. Seal the fillets on both sides. Deglaze the pan with some of the sauce. Transfer to oven to finish cooking for 5-12 minutes, or required level of doneness. Set aside to rest.
For the leeks:
4. Sauté the leeks in the butter, until soft without colour, about 5 minutes.
5. Add the cream and mustard and continue to reduce until thick.
For the potatoes and asparagus:
6. If asparagus is woody, peel below the spear. Steam or boil for 2 minutes until tender.
7. Steam or boil the potatoes with a few sprigs of mint.
8. Remove the string from the fillet steak. Toss some of the butter into the potatoes with some chopped mint. Drizzle some butter over the asparagus.
9. Spoon some of the leeks into the centre of the plate, and top with the steak. Spoon sauce over the steak, and serve accompanied with the vegetables.